This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RestEasyWithCVS #CollectiveBias #ad Today I’m sharing 5 Tips to Help Your Child with Bedwetting & Build Confidence using GoodNites® Bedtime Pants as a foundation for a great bedtime routine.
Bedwetting… a problem I really never thought about much before a couple of years ago. As most of you know, I’m a mommy to six kids… currently ages 5-18. I successfully potty trained my five older kids without too much trouble…then came my baby Asher.
He’s five years old now (half way to 6) and he’s perfectly potty trained during the day! He’s a confident happy little boy who loves to be silly and have fun! But… he continues to struggle with bedwetting at night.
At first I was very frustrated and wondering what I was doing wrong. Having potty trained a handful of kids before – I just couldn’t figure out anything I had done or was doing differently this time around.
But when he continued to struggle, I finally started researching and talking to friends and realized that what Asher is going through is not out of the ordinary. In fact, I’ve learned the opposite… that bedwetting is common. One of out six 4-12 yr olds wets the bed. That surprised me, but also brought me some relief that we weren’t doing anything wrong.
That’s when I took on a different mindset and decided that instead of worrying and stressing over it – I needed to come up with a plan to help him, encourage him, and get us through this challenging phase of childhood.
We’ve finally found a few things that really seem to help us to get a good night’s rest and have confident mornings!
Here are my top 5 Tips to Help Your Child with Bedwetting & Build Confidence:
- No drinks after supper. Other than a sip of water just before bed, we’ve tried to eliminate all drinks after dinnertime. The less he drinks, the less likely he is to need to pee at night. This has not eliminated the problem altogether, but he’s not sopping wet like he used to be in the mornings, so it’s a huge help!
- Bedtime Routine. We’ve tried to establish a good bedtime routine. He brushes his teeth, goes to the bathroom, then puts on his GoodNites® Bedtime Pants for the night. Choosing good bedtime pants has been a lifesaver. He loves to wear them with popular characters and fun designs, like GoodNites® Bedtime Pants. They also look and feel like real underwear and he can sleep comfortably. For me, I love that they have extra absorbency where boys (and girls) need it most, so I can rest easy knowing they’re designed to protect from leaks!
- Wake Up Early. This one is hard for us because we’re a “stay up late, sleep late” kind of family, but we’ve found if we make an effort to wake Asher up even an hour earlier than he wakes up on his own, we’ve had more success with him waking up dry than if we let him wake up on his own.
- Morning Rewards. Because of my cake business, there are always sweets in the house and I work really hard to limit them with my kids. However, one of Asher’s favorite things is gummy bears. For a little extra incentive, I bought some snack size zip-top bags and I put a handful of gummy bears in the bags and store them in the pantry. He knows if he wakes up dry, he gets a small bag of gummy bears as a treat. Having that little reward when he does successfully wake up and get to the bathroom dry is so exciting for him and it encourages him to get up when he wakes up and hurry, hurry, hurry to pee 😉
- Morning Bath Time. I know most families include bath time in the bedtime routine but we’ve found that having a morning bath works better. Because he still wakes up wet more often than dry, having a bath as soon as he wakes up means he doesn’t smell “yucky” and he can go through his day fresh from the bath and confident!
Even though we still struggle with bedwetting for now, applying these tips on a daily basis and having great products like GoodNites® Bedtime Pants has brought a lot of peace of mind to me and confidence to my cutie-pie kiddo!
Have any of you ever had a child who struggled with bedwetting? Do you have any other tips or ideas to help? Leave me a comment! Also, please check out the GoodNites® website for more tips & tricks and get a coupon here!